Microplastic Pollution in Lake Geneva Raises Concern

Recently, it has come into notice of the PFL researchers that microplastic pollution in large quantities has been found in Lake Geneva. As of now, these are only harmful to birds and fishes that feed on small waterborne organisms or plankton, but the extent of the consequences is in the process of investigation.

Microplastic Pollution in Lake Geneva Raises Concern

Experts are finding it quite surprising as it is highly unlikely to find such massive level of microplastic concentrations in a country like Switzerland. Studies showed that both the lake and beach water contain high amounts of contamination. This is for the first time a study has been held to focus on the contamination of a freshwater lake. And also according to them a number of fresh water bodies the world over will be showing signs of this situation.

The primary source of this pollution in oceans is the continental waters’ microplastics, where huge spots filled with these pollutants have been formed. Scientists are saying that only 20% oceanic microplastics are dumped into the sea, whereas the other 80% are estimated to be coming from sources like street litter, waste dumps and sewage. It’ll be threatening those animals that both chemically and physically inhabit these ecosystems.