How To Enjoy Green Living For Little Expense

Although some household trends come and go, usually in a matter of years, there is one relatively new addition that is likely to be with us forever and that is ‘green living’.

Green Living

The best news thing about this is that not only does it help us conserve and look after the environment, but it can also help everyday families save money. Here are the best ways to do both:

Invest in LEDs for your home

Quite naturally, some people are put off by the fact that LED light bulbs can be a little more expensive than incandescent bulbs. Although this is almost certainly true, the matter of the fact is that you can actually make a great saving in the long run.

For example, if you used 10 standard light bulbs in your home, each at 60 watts, you could look to save up to £1500 over the lifetime of the replacement 10 watt LED light bulbs.

This is because incandescent bulbs lose around 80 per cent of their energy through heat, and only use the remaining 20 per cent for light. With an LED light bulb, you will find that this figure is completely reversed.

Additionally, LED light bulbs can last for up to 25,000 hours, compared to 3,000 of your average bulb.

Grow your own food

Grow Your Own Food

Did you know that a packet of tomatoes can cost as little as £1.50? This is roughly the same price as a 250g pack of fresh tomatoes, and as a single plant can produce 3kg of fruit in a good season, you stand to make a great killing.

This is much the same for many vegetables that you can grow in your garden.

As well as helping you save money in the supermarket, by growing your own veg, you will also be helping out the environment by cutting down the carbon dioxide and waste associated with packing, delivering and refrigerating.

If you live in the UK, sign up to the Green Deal

For people lucky enough to live in the UK, the Green Deal helps people make energy-saving improvements to their home, which includes insulation, heating, draught-proofing double glazing and best of all, renewable energy generation.

After your home is assessed by a Green Deal assessor, you will find out what savings you can make by purchasing the correct work and equipment for your home. Once that the work is done, using a Green Deal provider, you then pay – but not in the usual way.

Although you will be loaned the money, the money that you owe will be paid back through our energy bills, but only out of the money saved. So, if you were to end up paying more money after the work has been carried out, it would mean that you are not illegible for the deal. Additionally, the interest is fixed and the loan stays with the house and not the owner. This means that if you were to move, you would not have to keep paying the bills.

If you don’t home improvements will work a wonder

home improvements

It is a fact that so much heat energy is lost through every day draughts in the home. Simply by making amends around your doors and windows, you could look to knock around 10 per cent off your yearly heating bill.

You can look to stop draughts all around your home and can solve the issue simply by buying draught-proofing, or changing your door. What’s great about this is that you do not need to hire a professional to do it.