Some Hydropower Facts for You to Consider

Hydro power facts help you in keeping up to date about the latest happenings in the sector and also in contributing your share for preserving and better usage.

Hydropower is the electricity produced using the energy of flowing water. In this method, power is generated by harnessing the gravitational force of flowing water. It utilizes the Earth’s water cycle to produce electricity as movement of water flow towards downstream creates energy that can be changed into electricity. Hydropower is clean as well as renewable, eco-friendly energy source and knowing about hydropower facts help you in using it carefully.

Hydropower facts

Farmers have used water wheels to mill wheat into flour since the ancient times. The water wheel placed in a river picks up water in the buckets placed around the wheel. The kinetic energy of the flowing river rotates the wheel and gets converted into automatic energy that runs the mill. A hydro plant is a system with three parts: a plant to produce power; a dam that opens and closes to control water flow and a reservoir to store water.

Hydropower supplies one-fifth of world’s electricity. Brazil, Canada, China, the United States, and Russia were the largest manufacturers of hydropower. Although it is environment friendly, the construction of dams can affect natural water systems and also affect fish and wildlife population. It is important to focus on hydropower facts as it is an ancient method with environment friendly system.

Important as an energy resource

Hydropower plays a vital role as 20% of the world’s electricity requirement is provided through the water power.  It provides about 9% of total power supply in USA. More than 30 countries depend on the source of hydropower. In Norway, around 99% of power is generated from water energy. Canada is the largest producer of hydropower energy followed by USA, Russia, Brazil, and China. Around 70% of power that comes from renewable energy source in USA is generated by water.

Environment-friendly

Hydropower has no emissions as it does not burn any fuels.  It is clean and prevents 120 million tons of coal or 22 billion gallons of oil from burning each year.  It does not cause global warming as it does not discharge any dangerous gases. It does not create air pollution that causes smog and acid rain. Construction of dams may affect water system as there is a possibility of lowering the water quality and harming the fish population.

Efficient energy source

Hydropower is the cheapest energy source as water is provided by the nature and knowing about the hydropower facts helps everyone in maintaining and utilizing it in better and useful way. It is the foremost source of renewable energy. It supplies around 97% of electricity and the remaining 3% of electricity is generated from other methods like solar, wind, geothermal and biomass. Rainfall will restock the reservoirs easily without any manual effort. Although the installation is expensive the maintenance cost is low. Fuel costs do not impact hydropower as it is generated out of natural resources. Hydropower can be produced anywhere as long as there is water that constantly flows throughout the year.